Near the City Centre, a few hundred yards from the beach. It frankly reads much better on the Website than it is.
– location: Just off the beach on a small side street. Part of Hotel du Vin.
– character and atmosphere: Cute. Staff friendly.
– style and comfort: Fashionable, pub with cool tables, some made of sewing machine legs.
– table and glassware: Basic.
– other guests: British. We unluckily chose Brighton when there was a long weekend.
– ambience rating (1 to 5 thumbs up/down)
– reception: Friendly, albeit not readily obvious how to do their jobs.
– floor staff (knowledge and presentation of food, attention to details and awareness of guests): Friendly. More staff than patrons so very attentive. That has changed by 1:30pm, but service still good.
– sommelier, maitre’d, chef, manager: Nope. Pub du VIN? C’mon…
– service rating (1 to 5 thumbs up/down)
– bread: Basic, but fresh and good.
– ingredients: Good.
– presentation: Simple.
– creativity: Nope.
– taste: Good flavors.
– smell: Good.
– execution: Easy.
– food rating (1 to 5 thumbs up/down)
* Cream of Tomato. Good, but thin and small flavor.
* Buffet of greens, seafood, meats and fish. Very nice.
* Fish pie. Very good once you get past the pie.
* Roasted chicken. Half a chicken. M has no chance to finish! Very basic.
– selection: Small.
– variety: Good. Many by 125ml or 175ml, which is great!
– value: Reasonable.
– wine rating (1 to 5 thumbs up/down)
because of 125ml glasses, which allows trying several wines. Otherwise .
Nine beers on tap. It should be Pub du Beer.
* White Rioja Bodega Ostatu 2012. I think Vermintino or Verdeho. A bit of body.
* Alvarino Trajavura Quinto do Regueira Light, fun and typical.
* Sauvignon Blanc Arinto Felix Rocha Portugal. A bit of barrel so less tangy.
* Sauvignon Blanc Tinpot Hut New Zealand. Typical. Most expensive, which is pure comedy.
* Viognier Goats do Roam in the Village South Africa. Fairly big, slightly tart, reasonable finish.
* Chardonnay Hotel du Vin 2011. France. Fresh, but not worth my quota.
– type of cuisine: Gastropub.
– dress code: Underwear optional
– overall rating (1 to 5 thumbs up/down)
GastroNaughties’ Restaurants in UK and Dublin
Pub du Vin
Ship Street, Brighton BN1 1AD
GastroNaughties’ Restaurant Ratings Criteria